Cold and flu season is upon us. If you’ve already been bit by the bug all is not lost. Here are a few quick pointers to help boost your immune system and possibly shorten the course of your illness…..
- As always WASH. YOUR. HANDS!
- This is a no brainer. Germs are parasites waiting to find their next host. Don’t volunteer.
- Eat a healthy, organic, whole food based diet and supplement if you can’t meet the mark.
- Fresh squeezed (organic) orange juice is packed full of natural vitamin C that your body can recognize and utilize.
- Fresh pressed fruit and vegetable juices are full of micronutrients that will help cleanse your body and help reset the microbiome of good bacteria in your gut and squeeze out the bad bugs.
- If you’re unable to meet the mark, whole food based supplements like Juice Plus can help fill in the gaps.
- Raw honey is a great antiseptic that can help kill off bad bugs. It can also help soothe a sore throat. Years ago a study was done comparing cough medicine to a teaspoon of honey for night time cough in kids – the honey won!
- Just make sure it’s ACTUALLY honey. Read the label – high fructose corn syrup with honey flavor doesn’t count.
- You also want to be sure it is raw and unprocessed as heat can kill some of the beneficial properties.
- 70-80% of your immune system is in your gut. Give it what it needs. Go here for more detailed info.
- Grass fed colostrum
- Shown to be three times more effective at preventing the flu than the vaccine. Give it a try. You won’t be disappointed!
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- No pedialyte on hand? Make your own!
- To 1 Liter of clean water (we like alkalinized or Fiji) add 1 tablespoon of organic cane sugar (or honey if over 1yo)* and 1 teaspoon of see salt. Voila!
- Tell us what works well for you in the comment section below!
Happy Healthy Living!
Until next time…
Comments, Questions?! Post them below!
The Doctor is in!
*Do NOT give honey to children under 1yo due to the risk of paralysis from botulin toxin!